The village of Wirt was established in 1884, although a general merchandise
store had been there since July 1881. The nearest post office was in Union Hill,
about three miles northwest of Wirt. This was eventually moved to Wirt.
A two-story frame schoolhouse was finished in January 1886 at a cost of
$2000. Two teachers are employed for 1886: E.R. Porter and Louie Campbell. The enrollment
is 60 students.
Mr Noah published the first newspaper called "The Wasp". He sold this
to John Abrams, who changed the name to "The News". The last publisher was John
Thrall, who ceased publication in 1884.
Businesses in 1886 were general stores, hardware, creamery, grocery stores,
meat markets, blacksmiths, lumber yard, doctor and barber.
Return to Ringgold County Pioneer Towns list
Come HOME to Ringgold County, Iowa