Mount Ayr



            The town of Mount Ayr was incorporated on June 8, 1875. The first mayor was E.G. Martin. Early newspapers included the Ringgold Record and Twice-A-Week News.


            The first settler of Mount Ayr was Barton Dunning and his wife Laura. They arrived here in 1855 when the Mount Ayr was still a hamlet. Mr. Dunning was instrumental in getting the first post office started and was the first postmaster. This was established August 30, 1855.


            The town was platted by William McCormick in the latter part of June 1855.



Return to Current Towns of Ringgold County

Come HOME to Ringgold County, Iowa