This history is obtained from and used with permission of the authors of Diagonal, Iowa -- Centennial History, 1888-1988
Goshen was established in 1880 and continued active until 1890. It was
1 3/4 miles west of Diagonal. Henry Stahl named the town for Goshen, Indiana from which he came. A post office was established earlier than the town at the nearby Michael Stahl residence.
Two general stores, a hardware store, lumber yard, blacksmiths, hotel, and livestock buyers served the farming area. For a few years there was a newspaper called the Goshen Gazette. The local doctor was Dr. Bement.
In 1875, J. A. Brittain was the postmaster of Goshen. He had a dry goods and clothing business also; this business closed in October, 1875.
In 1880 a branch of the Chicago Burlington and Quincy was built. This branch continued to operate until the last day of December 1945.
A log church was built in the Bethel cemetery south of Goshen. This served the area residents until a frame church was built in Goshen in 1881. It was later moved to Diagonal in 1890.
Goshen is rapidly building up in 1882, as the railroad is coming through and nearly completed.
In 1883, two loads of lumber were unloaded for the new church on the day President Garfield died.
Todd & Ingram - General Merchandise
Hartman Brothers - Hardware
Zaruba - Grocery
Nelson - Dry Goods, etc.
Smith - Stock Buyer
Dr. Richardson - drugs
One blacksmith shop
Bonham - Lumber Company
Benson - Carpenter
Wax & Simpson - Carpenters
B.F. Talley - postmaster
Two daily mail trains
12 freight trains
Mr. Gerard building church - cost of church: $1,143.
Mr. Todd has rented a house in Goshen coming from Kew. Ingram and Sons sold out their goods to J.T. Todd. Had Hersom had a sorghum mill.
In January, 1884, G.W. Morrison took charge of the blacksmith shop in Goshen. The Post was called the James Conley Post. Charles Ruby and Arthur Hartman ran a Huckster wagon near Goshen. Mrs. James (Cynthia) Ruby was the first funeral at the Goshen Church in 1884.
In 1885, D.D. Pratt traded his farm in Washington Township for a store and stocks in Goshen to J. Zaruba.
In 1886, there was a colt show in Goshen. The judges were Mr. Lowery, J.T. Wilbur, and D. I. Wiley; and Levi Lininger won first prize of $15.00.
Early in 1887, Goshen was expecting the Chicago Great Western to cross at their town, which would have been a great asset, but instead the railroad company decided to go along the river bottoms instead. Also in 1887, an improvement came with the addition of a newspaper called the Goshen "Gazette". It was published by E.C. Gard and A.C. Talley.
In 1889, the Burlington moved their depot from Goshen to the crossing and the town followed entirely.
The Ringgold Record reported that a Schrader -- Pitmire family feud led to an assault, with intent to commit murder.