Benton



            The town of Benton originated in 1887, in Rice Township, with the coming of the Chicago Great Western Railroad. At one point in Benton's history, it boasted 22 businesses and a depot. These were businesses common to small rural towns:

            livery stables

            doctors

            drug store

            general merchandise

            hardware

            lumberyard

            banks

            and a furniture store.

At one time, there were four churches: United Brethren, Seventh-Day Adventist, United Methodist and Christian.



Return to Current Towns of Ringgold County

Come HOME to Ringgold County, Iowa