Our ancestors, coming to the rolling hills of Ringgold County as early as 1855, envisioned a bright future for their families and future generations.
This vision became more clear in 1880 with a shrill whistle as the Chicago, Burlington, & Quincy passed westbound through Goshen. In 1885 another shrill whistle was heard
as the Chicago Great Western (the Diagonal) made its way southbound through Knowlton.
At a point approximately two miles from each of these newly formed towns, the tracks crossed diagonally, the CB&Q on a creaky bridge, and the CGW on firm ground, each making a welcome sound to the settlers' ears.
This crossing became the hub of activity as passengers changed trains.
By 1888 facilities were needed for meals and lodging. This created a need for other businesses and "DIAGONAL" was officially incorporated in 1888.
We get a name!
The Burlington Railroad
The Great Western Railroad
A Little More About Our Founding...
Diagonal, Iowa today!
A little about these Wileys
Our Family Tree Work
More Current Towns of Ringgold County
Come HOME to Ringgold County--A GREAT place to LOVE!!!